Wednesday, February 04, 2009

please don't misunderstand me, honey

when I told him
he smelled like christmas
i think he misunderstood me
it seemed like he thought
i was making
a romantic
statement
i should have been
more clear
i was trying
to save time
now he has
the wrong idea
about me
all i meant
was that
his deodorant
reminded me of
this certain candle
my mother likes to
burn during the
holidays
i knew something
was wrong
in the morning
when i looked out
the window and he
stood with me and
looked as well
i said "its a clear
day today"
and he took my
hand and said
"what do you
mean?"

5 comments:

Mike Young said...

hahaha the ending is funny

An Unreliable Witness said...

I am supposing that Christmas smells different for everyone.

For me it smells of burnt turkey and my grandmother's noxious perfume.

Candles seem preferable.

Ryan W. Bradley said...

this made me smile

JR's Thumbprints said...

He, being the intelligent fella he was, must've applied that deodorant to impress.

I just read your flash-fiction piece "45 Walker Street" on the NANO Fiction website. Interesting, very interesting. There are all kinds of ways to make money.

Crispin Best said...

when i read this in corduroy mtn i felt good and optimistic and like this: 'kendra!'