Thursday, August 14, 2008

i just came back to new york and shane jones' chapbook was sitting on my pillow in an envelope with a hand traced on it



The first thing I did after I pet my cat when I came home today was read I Will Unfold You With My Hairy Hands, by Shane Jones.

The first story made me cry and I felt embarrassed but happy that no one was around. Then I read the second story and cried again, this time, like a fucking little prissy bitch. I read all the stories. They all made me feel very emotional.

Ryan Call wrote something really nice and eloquent about this chapbook yesterday. I feel like if I were to elaborate my feelings I will just be mostly repeating what Ryan already addressed, but not worded as well.

It's a beautiful little book.

*

It occurred to me today that I have received a handful of chapbooks from people and failed to write blogs for them over the course of the year. I feel bad. I liked so many of them. Let me try to make up for it by making a list of the best ones I've read in the last 6 months:

Don't Wake Up It's Just Me by Mike Young

Mike gave this to me when I first met him. Actually he was reading from this that night. I once wrote a story with a friend of mine about when I first met Mike. Maybe one day someone will publish it in a chapbook and you can all read it and feel weird. Anyways, I was a little enamored with Mike after reading this.

Paul Simon by Chris Killen

This chapbook is very funny. I laughed out loud the whole time I read it. And then later I talked to Zac German about it and he said "Yeah, it's like, really funny until you switch the words 'Paul Simon' with 'Chris Killen'." Then I felt bad but still liked it. Maybe I liked it more.

On a side note. I read Chris' novel a few months back, after he came to the USA for a bit. After reading the book I felt a little horrible for spending as much time with him as I did when he was here, not knowing what a fucking genius he was. When The Bird Room is out I'm going to buy everyone I like a copy. The book left me dumb struck for two days.

When People Talk To Me I Want To Close My Eyes and We Are In Exile Here by Colin Bassett

I got both of these at the same time. I like to think of them as going very well as a pair. I would not suggest you read one without the other, although, I think Colin is out of copies. He is amazingly nice, I bet you could sweet talk him into printing more. They both are very tender feeling about love. Colin writes with sentimentality but without it being too saccharine and gross.

The Name Of This Band Is The Talking Heads Vol. 1 by Zac German

These are short and funny, but one is really sad. It is best when he reads them out loud, but I still like reading this edition from time to time when I am bored.

Mason & Dixon/Gravity's Rainbow by Shane Jones and Chris Killen

The front and back cover were my favorite part. That sounds really awful. But seriously, the front and back cover were very very funny.

Peter Pan Mocha French Toast by Mike Young

Mike titled these to help people know what he was going to use the money for. A Peter Pan bus to and from New York. And mocha french toast while he was there. And we did indeed get mocha french toast, which I personally think is too sweet and gross. Anyways, the poems are good too. And it is dedicated to someone really awesome.

How to Mend A Broken Heart with Vengeance by Leigh Stein

I don't actually own this one for some reason. I've read it on a few occasions and had the lovely chance to hear Leigh read from it once. Leigh is a fantastic poet and I feel like the title of this chapbook does a better job summarizing the contents than I could even with a few paragraphs of rambling. You can still buy it here which I need to do asap. It has a unicorn on the cover.

6 comments:

Colin Bassett said...

it was on the steps in my building when i got back from the library today. i felt thrilled.

Mike Young said...

you are the sweetest "minnesota munchkin chunks"

i just made that up and i'm a little afraid of it now

i need to call you!!!

ryan call said...

i forgot to mention the hand traced on the back of the envelope

i really liked that

it added to my reading experience

Catherine Lacey said...

This is nice and I will give you a chapbook as soon as I see you again. (When?!) Let's be the winos we know we are.

BlogSloth said...

stop censoring. trust YOU.

Leigh Stein said...

i feel very special.

i have extra copies, i'll bring you one. are you going to the no colony reading tomorrow?