Monday, March 03, 2008

I Can Picture You Eating A Banana And Your Seventies Haircut

i told you your haircut looked medieval
you told me it was a seventies haircut
you touched your hair with your enormous hands
and bowed your head a bit
i felt a little ashamed myself

*

your hand looked like a monster's
in those gloves
i wrapped my whole hand around
just the thumb

*

on the train you smiled at me
and i smiled back
your head jerked away
you said to me while facing the other direction
"your smile intimidates me"
i smiled
you said it was "powerful"
i couldn't repress a smile after that
but it seemed like i should have

*

when you said
"lay on your back"
i was surprised at your directness
and when you thrust your hips at my face
i was surprised to see you look me in the eye
and when you pulled my hair, i was surprised all the same

*

lying sideways on the bed
you sang the first half of a cody chestnut verse
and i sang the second half
but then i ran out of words to sing
and the moment ended abruptly
i played your harmonica instead

*

right now
i can picture you sitting at the kitchen table
back hunched and awkward
eating a
banana

No comments: