Thursday, December 01, 2005

I'm in love with a cliché.

I was rendered breathless again today. I was driving during what was just about the first heavy snowfall. The wind was pretty ferocious, and along with the cars there was a thin drift of snow moving across the ground like there were a million tiny tornados that I couldn't see throwing the drift around like a rag doll. Traffic was slow, my music was loud and it was amazing to watch (and dangerously hypnotizing).

To get to the point I have been thinking about the event of being rendered breathless all night. I write about it a lot, I think about it a lot. Its probably one of the most overused clichés out there, but it never wears out its welcome (nor does that one). I have been attempting to research “gasping” all night to no avail. What I want to know, is breathlessness a culture-bound syndrome, or is it a physically universal human condition. At this point I could be convinced of either. However, (I remind you that I am the fucking QUEEN of internet researching) I couldn’t find any anthropological studies on the topic. Why is there no answer out there for me? Is it possible that there is such a beautiful, reiterated cliché that absolutely no one has bothered to find out the physical truth about? I highly doubt it. I can, off the top of my head, recall just shy of a kigillian literary uses of dramatic gasping, being emotionally winded, breathless, etc...

My absolute, without a doubt, favorite breathless moment, is the cinematic depiction of a car accident. Specifically of women in car accidents. There is something so lovely about a doe-eyed expression and a gasp emmiting from the mouth of a woman who is looking directly at something that will most likely kill her, when it is at the point of beyond control. I also just love everything about the idea of car accidents. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

No comments: