Saturday, November 19, 2005

The crows, the crows, the crows are gone forever Clementine.

Last winter I used to take the same route home from work everyday. There was this specific stretch, about three blocks long, where there was a beautiful phenomenon. There are these enormous trees there that when winter-bare, have this peculiar shape of upside down triangles. They are totally flat and level on the tops, making a very even canopy. Day after day I would hold my breath as I drove past the trees because hundreds of crows (maybe they were ravens or grackles...some kind of corvid) were perched precariously on the very top limps of the trees. They didn't ever perch lower, or on the other trees in the area. Sometimes, though, they would all circle above the intersection, silently. It used to be my favorite part of every day. The sight of it would take my breath strait out of my little heart-felt lungs; I could never hold it in (trust me I tried). I really liked rolling down my windows when they were flying, because it would be so cold, and the birds wouldn't make a sound. Just circle, circle 1 2 3, circle, circle 1 2 3.

I've been taking a different route home lately, but after the fender bender I took the old route just once, out of curiosity and the obvious abhorrence for one particularly jinxed intersection. There were absolutely no crows there. I was completely stunned. I used to make jokes with my boyfriend at the time that they were waiting there for me...

However, on my new route home, (I change it quarterly) there is a lady security guard taking her smoke break across the street of the convention center every time I drive by. This is a little uncanny because I leave work, give or take 20 minutes, at a different time everyday. She doesn’t wear a jacket and looks very cold so she couldn't be out there for very long when she smokes. She's in her thirties, has a wear look on her face, and sways so slightly back and forth, like the wind could knock her off her feet at any given moment. She must be waiting for me, I like to imagine she has seen my crows too, and is out there waiting for them to come back. I don't think she knows I think about her, or see her, or pine for a glance from her. Don't worry lady security guard (I fancy her name to be Clementine) they'll come to take you with them someday and we'll fly high with our crows, silent, silent, silent...

No comments: